5 Tips For Reducing Scars After A Mommy Makeover
After giving birth to one or more children, it is almost impossible to get rid of excess fat and skin — and your breasts just never seem to look as full as they once did. That is why the “mommy makeover” has become extremely popular with women in Omaha who want to be able to get back to their pre-pregnancy shape. A mommy makeover refers to a set of plastic surgery procedures that are combined for moms who want to feel confident in their own skin again. Depending on the areas the patient wants to improve, mommy makeovers may include liposuction, tummy tucks, breast lifts and/or breast augmentations.
The final results of mommy makeovers can be truly astounding, but it is not uncommon for patients to worry about the leftover scars once everything has healed. It is not possible to completely avoid scarring, but most plastic surgeons (especially Omaha plastic surgeon Dr. Ayoub) try to create incisions that are as small and hidden as possible. There are, however, things the patient can do to reduce scars even more.
The Mommy Makeover Healing Process: How to Reduce Scarring
Scars are simply part of the body’s natural healing process — but that doesn’t make them any more aesthetically pleasing. Here are a few ways to reduce scars (but be sure to discuss these methods with your plastic surgeon in Omaha before moving forward with anything):
- Use silicone sheets which help flatten scars, prevent excessive scar tissue growth, and take the red/purple color away so the scars become more of a flesh tone.
- Follow all surgeon post-op instructions so the wound will heal as quickly and completely as possible. This includes taking care of the wound, proper nutrition, and avoiding cigarette smoking.
- Apply pure Vitamin E to the scar every day, which can help wounds heal faster and improve the texture of any resulting scar.
- Avoid exposing any wounds/scars to the sun or UV light because surgical sites can become irritated and/or change color (darker or lighter).
- Take it easy as long as you can. The longer you are able to relax and avoid any strenuous movement or exercise, the more time your body has to heal properly.
We Are Here To Help!
If you want more information or have any questions, here is how you can get some answers.
If you listen to your doctor and take steps to reduce scarring after your mommy makeover, you will likely be pleased with the results. However, some people just scar more seriously than others — genetics and skin tone can play a big part — and even with great care, some patients may not be happy with the leftover scars. In that situation, surgical scar revision may be a good option.
As you continue to heal, scars should become less apparent and the true results of your mommy makeover will become more noticeable. After a few months, there is a good chance you won’t even notice any residual scarring and instead, will be thrilled with your flat stomach and perkier breasts.
To learn more about mommy makeovers and to find out if you may be a good candidate, contact Dr. Ayoub at Westfield Plastic Surgery Center in Omaha for a complimentary consultation by calling (402) 829-6384