6 Tips To Reduce Swelling After Injectable Fillers
Every year, Dr. Ayoub and his team see hundreds of Omaha men and women who want to improve their looks but don’t want to go under the knife. Injectable fillers are a great, non-surgical way to give you a rested, more youthful appearance. One thing Dr. Ayoub wants his Omaha patients to know is that they may experience some swelling after receiving injectable fillers – so be prepared and don’t be overly alarmed. There are areas of the face that do tend to swell the more than others after receiving injectable fillers, specifically under the eyes and around the lips. About 20% of patients will experience significant swelling in these areas, and the swelling will be at its worst on the day after Dr. Ayoub administers the injectable fillers. Significant swelling may be seen for up to 4 days, while minor swelling can be seen for as long as 2 weeks. Here are some tips to help reduce your swelling after receiving injectable fillers:
- Keep Head Elevated – It is important to keep your head elevated for the first 24 hours after you receive your injectable filler treatment. Keeping your head above your heart allows the fluid to leave your face more quickly. Dr. Ayoub recommends that his patients sleep with their head elevated as well, and certainly avoid sleeping on their face, which could exacerbate the swelling and cause it to last longer.
- Apply A Cold Compress To Your Face – For the first 24 hours, Dr. Ayoub suggests that his Omaha patients who have received injectable fillers gently apply cold compresses to their treatment area in order to help reduce next-day swelling. In the day or two following, once swelling has set in, warm compresses can be used to help encourage the swelling to subside more quickly.
- Massage The Treatment Area – If you are experiencing lumps or bumps in your treatment area, try lightly massaging the skin. These bumps are caused by clustered blood cells that are responding to the needle itself, not the filler. Light massage will help settle the area more quickly, but if you are uncomfortable doing this, the lumps and bumps will subside on their own within a few days.
- Avoid Wearing Hats – This might sound strange, but if you have received injectable fillers in your forehead, wearing a hat too soon after your treatment can push the filler down from its intended position and could lead to swelling in the eyelids.
- Stay Hydrated – Keeping your body well-hydrated before and after receiving injectable fillers allows your body to heal more quickly. A well-hydrated body is a healthier body, which can decrease swelling by flushing out waste and rejuvenating cells more quickly.
- Avoid Foods High In Sodium – We all know the effects salt can have on our bodies. For some, too much sodium can mean not being able to fit into the jeans you wore just yesterday. The same goes for swelling after injectable fillers. Too much sodium intake can cause your body to swell more or hold on to swelling longer. In the days following your treatment, avoid eating foods that are high in sodium, and instead fill your diet with fresh fruits and vegetables.
Are You Ready To Get Rid Of Those Fine Lines And Wrinkles?
Dr. Ayoub has lived and worked in the Omaha area for over 20 years. He is committed to providing aesthetically pleasing results to each of his patients and has even become one of Omaha’s top plastic surgeons.
If you are dealing with fine lines and wrinkles, or if you just want a more youthful appearance, give his office a call at (402) 829-6384 to schedule your complimentary consultation.